I'd installed autoconf from source.  I do have a /usr/local/share/aclocal-1.8
directory.  I tried creating a symbolic link from /usr/local/share/aclocal-1.8
to /usr/share/aclocal but I get the exact same results :-(   I assume there is
some sort of conflict left behind by the fact I used to have autoconf installed
via an RPM but later installed after downloading the source.  I just love the
fact that so many times the RPMs get built with a different path from what is
used by default when one builds from source - causes nothing but problems :-)

I'll try cleaning up autoconf and automake completely, re-do the install of
them, and see what happens.

Thanks!

-- Ray