On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Trent Piepho wrote:

> That's it!  You can compile and link mplex with one single g++ command!

        I don't see anywhere in that one line the building of the libmplex
        shared libraries  - that's what most of the build stuff is for.

> That's it, one command that fits on one line!  For some reason autohell needs
> a ONE THOUSAND LINE Makefile to do this, and it doesn't even work!

        Makefile.am is 76 lines long and guess what?  Works flawlessly on
        everything from an obsolete BSD variant up thru OS/X on to several
        different Linux distributions and a modern BSD variant or two.

> When a package that is so simple it doesn't even need a makefile has a build

        Come up with another one liner to build the shared libraries and
        install 'em yet? ;)

        mplex itself is basically a wrapper around the shared libraries as
        I recall and the libs are what most of the makefile is about.

> process so complex that people are told they need to switch distributions to
> build it, that's a sign autohell has gone seriously out of control.

        auto* is a bit of a mess in general but I can't call a 76 line
        automake file "seriously out of control".  It does have minimum
        versions of the autohell tools required but that's not unusual.