Hi,

Am Donnerstag 20 Januar 2005 04.31 schrieb Trent Piepho:
> > > The minimum versions must be very bleeding edge, when redhat 9 and
slackware

> >     No, not really.  But their also not years old either (RH9 went end of
> >     life a some time back - they're up to fedora 3 or whatever now).
>
> I'm still using a system based on redhat 5.  It works fine.  Built the cvs
> version of mplayer with almost no problems.

I must admit that the auto* system is something which makes me crazy, too. It
is not the system by itself, but the fast increasing "minimum requirements"
on the auto* system. Considering that this is only a bootstrap tool having no
influence on the quality of the mjpegtools, I would prefer being as
conservative as possible here. The update strategy for my own boxes is: Never
change a running system (especially if critical projects depend on it). My
base system is a SuSE 9.0 (not very old). Nevertheless, in order to build the
cvs version, I needed to retain two versions of the auto* tools (in separate
development trees).

So I strongly advocate to be as conservative as possible concerning the
development tools, retaining backward compatibility as long as the quality of
the mjpegtools does not depend on it. :-)

May I cite a joke: "Changing the engine of a car should not mean to change the
highway markings, too."

Thanks,

Michael