On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Michael Hanke wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 20 Januar 2005 11.09 schrieb Dave Dodge:
> > On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 07:31:45PM -0800, Trent Piepho wrote:
> > > On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Steven M. Schultz wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Have you tried upgrading autoconf on an old system?  It's nearly
> impossible.
> >
> > Well, yes and no.  Installing updated vesions of the autotools is
> > pretty straightforward if you're used to installing things from source.
> [snip]

Back when I first installed Linux, we didn't even have these new-fangled
package managers!  Installing from source and building your own kernel was the
ONLY way.  You want binaries?  We got your SunOS and OSF/1 and Ultrix right
here, WTF is Linux?  Now days I think rpm, apt, etc. are a god-send to
keeping a system organized and working.

> > That will leave you with a clean, new autotools in your path.  You can
> > run autogen.sh and it should just ignore whatever versions happen to
> > be installed by the system packages.
> >
> > That's the good news.  Now for the bad news...
> The bad news are that the mjpegtools do not live alone... There are tons of
> programs which come with their own m4 macros. If you are using rpm, you will
> certainly break a lot of dependencies. It is hard to know if these
> dependencies are important or can be ignored...
>
> I believe that rpm has become something like a (one of a few) standard(s) of
> making a system manageable with small effort. And the auto* tools do not come
> with a *.spec file.

Exactly what I was going to say.  Once you install autohell from source,
you've just broken rpm or whatever package management system you're using.
You'll probably have two versions installed on top of each other using each
other's files in random and broken ways.  And good luck upgrading your
packages or using something like up2date.

Your m4 macros from other packages are now broken.  Some are probably
incompatible with the new version of autohell, so you'll just have to stop
using that software.  You can't build any software that doesn't yet work with
the bleeding edge verion of autohell either.

But what's really wrong about all this, is that a bleeding edge verion of
autohell
isn't needed at all.  mjpegtool's build process isn't complex, there simply
isn't any reason to make building it so hard.