Hallo

>> That lookes like your camera is not able to produece a steady signal.
>> That happens usually with VCR's.
> Yes, I think so too. It is a quite old equipment. Anyway, yesterday I
> made some more tests and I got better results from the same tapes: with
> -d2 and -q80 I only got a few lost frames in an hour, while I got more
> than 100 lost frames at -d1 and -q50.
Using -q 100 might be a litte problematic. It should be better when you
use only -q up to 95 or so. When recording at full PAL size I use -q 60.

>> If you try to record from a Broadcast
>> signal like you have from a Satelite receiver you should have no dropped
>> frames. Please test it too.
> This is hard to test for me, the satellite receiver is at least 10
> meters far from the computer, which in turn is very hard to move around,
> but anyway this is a most interesting test to do.
Ok.

>> If you have a lot of tapes image stabilization units (TBC Time base
>> correction) help a lot !
>> I think a device TV One CTB-530T http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ would
>> help. (I hope Steven corrects me if I'm wrong.
> My budget is so low that I bought the card from "low_budget_computing"
> on ebay! However I'll take a look at that link. BTW, are there any
> software solution in order to accomplish the same result?
At least I don't know any SW solution. The problem is often the timing
of the video signals. VCR's typical have a very bad timing. The DC30
uses the VCR Mode (or so is the register called) by default. When the
card is not able to lock on the signal you get at least lost/ins.
frames. Sometimes the recording might even break. The closer the timing
ist to what the norm say's the easier it is for the card's to record.
And thos unis refrest the sync signals, and make the timing better.

auf hoffentlich bald,

Berni the Chaos of Woodquarter

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
www: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~gz/bernhard