Hey Andy,

While we await commonsdata and the ability to do an image focal area micro
contribution, what about the following ideas:

We could top align or align nearer the top. Experimenting with this has seemed
to produce fewer edge cases for me. (I'm implementing the same functionality in
the iOS app.)

We could make the image not only tap-able but also vertically drag-able so with
a simple flick up or down any hidden bit could come into view.

If we do the item above and detect that there is some overlap we could do a
subtle vertical pan of the image within its crop box when an article loaded to
give the user a hint that there's more to see.

A variation on that could be subtle scale adjustment hinting.

We could, if the article image dimensions are not conducive to being cropped,
use the next image in the article which is.

We could, instead of showing a single image in the cropped area, show a mosaic
layout of the main image and a few others from the article scaled and sized to
present a seamless bird's eye gallery in the crop box.

We could do the item above only on the condition that the article image
dimensions are ill suited to cropping.

We could animate a horizontal slide between all of the article images, in a
subtle, non distracting fashion, of course, within the crop box.

We could animate a cross fade between all of the article images in the crop
box.

We could, if we detect an image ill suited to the crop box, slowly pan from
center to top left, then top right, then bottom left, then bottom right, then
back to center.

We could start the image zoomed out such that no cropping is evident, with
black bars in the narrower dimensions margins, the zoom in to aspect fill the
crop box.

Any of these are doable, quite easily, in isolation or some combined fashion.
Do any of these sound like good ideas?

-Monte