On 20 December 2014 at 04:04, Monte Hurd <mh...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> what about the following ideas:

Thank you for the constructive suggestions. I'd be agld to see
anything whcih offers a improvement over the current beta

> We could top align or align nearer the top. Experimenting with this has
> seemed to produce fewer edge cases for me. (I'm implementing the same
> functionality in the iOS app.)

That won't work for images like
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Nycticebus_coucang_002.jpg
(the Slow Loris example discussed here recently)

> We could, if the article image dimensions are not conducive to being cropped,
> use the next image in the article which is.

I infer form that that the problem is largely with portrait format images?

> We could, instead of showing a single image in the cropped area, show a
> mosaic layout of the main image and a few others from the article scaled and
> sized to present a seamless bird's eye gallery in the crop box.

That might work; but the detail might also become very small - and
some infobox images are already mosaics.

> We could animate a cross fade between all of the article images in the crop
> box.

> We could, if we detect an image ill suited to the crop box, slowly pan from
> center to top left, then top right, then bottom left, then bottom right, then
> back to center.

> We could start the image zoomed out such that no cropping is evident, with
> black bars in the narrower dimensions margins, the zoom in to aspect fill the
> crop box.

These three  (and your subsequent " rotational 3D transform" idea)
would need to satisfy WCAG guidelines on movement; and be tested by
people with susceptibility to such.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing