John White wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 11:15:53PM +0200, Stas Bekman wrote:
> > > Does anybody see a niche for a new web-hosting company specializing in
> > > mode_perl and other goodies, rather than the generic "package" ? Matt ?
> > > That could ease the management problem of "we agree mod_perl is great,
> > > but our hoster won't run it".
> > > I for one ended up having to host my own website because nobody would
> > > host mod_perl & msql for less than an arm and a leg.
> >
> > Sure, Rod, there is a niche
> > Build a rack of machines, give each client a dedicated box and have solved
> > the problem of many people seeking mod_perl support. The question is how
> > much this service is going to cost...

>From my experience:
Above.net, tier 1, guaranteed bandwidth
19X12 Rack = $400 monthly allows 128K (in 95%, billed for increase)
19X12 Rack fits 3 3U cases
each case holds 2X500 PIII, Intel GX MB w/onboard video,100baseT and UW
SCSI,256M,18Gig UW IBM, Approx = $2500 per machine

Situation 1: shared three tier platform
First CPU: lightweight front end has Mod_proxy, Mod_rewrite, Mod_ssl
2nd CPU: Mod_perl
3rd CPU runs mysql possibly DNS and Qmail also.
Add in $200 Switch to segment 10 baseT Internet drop from 100baseT
'internal' frontend/modperl/database network.
Also 4 port 100base T hub for $100.

Sitution 2: Each client gets a dedicated machine combining each of the
three seperate ones from above (expensive, only 3 clients per rack).

Initial hardware outlay approx: 7500+200+100 = $7800 upfront + 400
monthly (min)
Approximate traffic that can be served from this platform??
Additional monthly fees for traffic above 128K?
256K and 19X24 rackspace = $800 I think