On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, Bill Marrs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using mod_perl successfully albeit minimally for a couple months
> now.
> I'm trying to tune performance and memory usage by consolidating some
> common Perl "use" directives in a PerlRequire statement.  However, when I
> add this line to my Apache config file (/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf), the
> server fails to come up - and also give no indication that I can find of a
> problem.  So, I don't know what's going wrong.
>
> Here's what I'm adding to my httpd.conf file:
>
> PerlRequire /home/ugtz/startup.pl
>

> I have the usual stuff in my /home/ugtz/startup.pl file, actually I tried
> commenting everything but the #!/usr/local/bin/perl and the "1;" at the
> end, and it still failed.  So, I don't think the contents of the file are
> at fault.
>
> My httpd error log doesn't say anything is wrong, it actually doesn't log
> anything - like it never got that far...

Since the server didn't yet started it doesn't log errors but print them
to STDERR.

Did you check file permissions?

Also try to execute it directly by executing httpd. /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd
is actually apachectl, which is not so good as it says started when the
server actually didn't some time, I always start the server by this
sequence:

/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
tail -f /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log

> I do:
> % /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start
> Starting httpd:                   [  OK  ]
> % ps -ef |grep httpd
> [no httpd processes]
> % tail /etc/httpd/logs/error_log
> [ nothing new in log ]
>

> Does anyone have any clues for me to track down on this, I'm stumped.
>
> -bill

Stas Bekman    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.stason.org/stas
Perl,CGI,Apache,Linux,Web,Java,PC     http://www.stason.org/stas/TULARC
perl.apache.org    modperl.sourcegarden.org   perlmonth.com    perl.org
single o-> + single o-+ = singlesheaven    http://www.singlesheaven.com