are you sure that there are no other webservers
currently running and on port 80?

do the 'set args' gdb command with at least the -X parameter
before executing run.

when you start apache and it blows up, is apache using any
other command line arguments such as -DSSL?
if so, make sure you use that on the set args line as well
so you are running the program with the same enviroment
in gdb as when you run with apachectl.

cliff rayman
genwax.com