I am using PerlRequire successfully on both:

Server: Apache/1.3.3 (Unix) mod_perl/1.16 mod_ssl/2.1.2 SSLeay/0.9.0b
AND
Server: Apache/1.3.9 (Unix) mod_perl/1.21 mod_ssl/2.4.8 OpenSSL/0.9.4

both on linux Linux Redhat 5.2 - kernal - 2.0.36
perl, version 5.005_02 built for i686-linux

Are perl and apache/modperl all compiled with the same compiler and version?
I am running RedHat 5.2 but I compiled perl/apache/modperl/openssl all from
scratch using clean source trees from their respective web sites.

Are you PerlRequire(ing) things that perhaps should be loaded dynamically
from the children?

cliff rayman
genwax.com