Well, I've got a performance question

We all know that mod_perl is quite hungry for memory, but when you have
lots of SQL requests, the sql engine (mysql in my case) and httpd are
competing for memory (also I/O and CPU of course). The simplest solution
is to bump in a stronger server until it gets "outgrown" as the loads
grow and you need a more sophisticated solution.

My question is a cost-effectiveness of adding another cheap PC vs
replacing with new expensive machine. The question is what are the
immediate implications on performace (speed)? Since the 2 machines has to
interact between them. e.g. when setting the mysql to run on one machine
and leaving mod_perl/apache/squid on the other. Anyone did that?

Most of my requests are served within 0.05-0.2 secs, but I afraid that
adding a network (even a very fast one) to deliver mysql results, will
make the response answer go much higher, so I'll need more httpd processes
and I'll get back to the original situation where I don't have enough
resources. Hints?

I know that when you have a really big load you need to build a cluster of
machines or alike, but when the requirement is in the middle - not too
big, but not small either it's a hard decision to do... especially when
you don't have the funds :)

Thanks!
Stas Bekman    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.stason.org/stas
Perl,CGI,Apache,Linux,Web,Java,PC     http://www.stason.org/stas/TULARC
perl.apache.org    modperl.sourcegarden.org   perlmonth.com    perl.org
single o-> + single o-+ = singlesheaven    http://www.singlesheaven.com