SB> replacing with new expensive machine. The question is what are the
SB> immediate implications on performace (speed)? Since the 2 machines has to
SB> interact between them. e.g. when setting the mysql to run on one machine
SB> and leaving mod_perl/apache/squid on the other. Anyone did that?

We do this, but the queries that run are large and produce big data
sets.  The network latency is not an issue for us.

But if your choice is to replace with an expensive PC, why not just
*add* the expensive PC to be your DB server?  Then leave the web
serving to a dedicated web-serving box and tune it appropriately, and
tune the DB server as well.  I see no real long-term value in adding a
cheap box to be your DB server.