> SB> replacing with new expensive machine. The question is what are the
> SB> immediate implications on performace (speed)? Since the 2 machines has to
> SB> interact between them. e.g. when setting the mysql to run on one machine
> SB> and leaving mod_perl/apache/squid on the other. Anyone did that?
>
> We do this, but the queries that run are large and produce big data
> sets.  The network latency is not an issue for us.

My code is different, each request executes about 10-20 little queries. So
probably I'll see the latency influence the response times, right?

> But if your choice is to replace with an expensive PC, why not just
> *add* the expensive PC to be your DB server?  Then leave the web
> serving to a dedicated web-serving box and tune it appropriately, and
> tune the DB server as well.  I see no real long-term value in adding a
> cheap box to be your DB server.

Throwing away the cheap box and putting two expensive instead is even
better :) Of course you are right about long-term planning, I was talking
about the case when you don't have to buy the cheap box, since we have it
already...

Stas Bekman    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.stason.org/stas
Perl,CGI,Apache,Linux,Web,Java,PC     http://www.stason.org/stas/TULARC
perl.apache.org    modperl.sourcegarden.org   perlmonth.com    perl.org
single o-> + single o-+ = singlesheaven    http://www.singlesheaven.com