On Tue, 4 Apr 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >A good package for this is IPC::Shareable.  You can store info in semaphores
> >and share it between processes.
>
> Except that I don't think you can you use shared memory (the semaphores are
> just flags) across multiple web servers, and I have been wrong before.

You can share memory segments between web servers with no trouble.
Depending on how you implement the storage, you may run into difficulties
with your operating system, though.  For instance, all the BSD derivatives
I've investigated (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and BSDi so far) only have 32 shared
segments and 10 semaphores compiled into the kernel by default.  In
contrast, the Linux kernel ships with 128 of each.

- Matt