Vivek,

Is it possible that a special auth handler could be written that stores the number
of bad authorizations for a userid and the last time of the hit in a DBM file for
quick lookup? Then, configure an environment or server variable if the auth screwed
up more than 3 times within the last hour (or some other prespecified time)?

Although HTTP is stateless, the username would at least tend to remain constant in
most cases of hacking or user problems I would think.