Yeah, but this is the same with any X strikes solution on any other
platform. It's a tradeoff. One would assume that if a DoS were being
played, that other information would be gathered about the person doing a
DoS.

According to that theory, one would also assume securID cards are not safe
from DoS because they lock out after a certain number of tried attempts.
While it is true that it may be a DoS, there are situations where there
are quite a few people using securID cards with this config because they
feel they would rather be locked out and know that someone was doing
something funny than to let a hacker do whatever they want.

In addition, a lock out isn't the only logic you could implement in an X
strikes scenario. You could also consider simply notifying a sysadmin with
a pager so they can logon and start tracking if someone is hacking the
system. A sort of Intrusion Detection System if you will.

I guess it depends on what this guy wants to do. The primary point of my
message was to ask if it is possible to do what I stated as a workaround
to the stateless HTTP problem that Vivek wrote (rather than being a
discourse on whether it is truly the most secure solution for the
requirements).