Also, some legitimate people turn off cookies. In addition, weird browsers
(especially PDAs with limited memory) tend not to implement cookies. So those
are considerations for locking out users that may be legitimate.

However, I would rather think that the cookies would be an advisory security
mechanism used in conjunction with the 3 strikes. Not something that a user has
to use in this case, but something that helps make sure some yahoo with a
browser doesn't do the DoS attack along with the 3 strikes.

Cookies are, of course, spoofable so that then becomes something that you would
have to watch out for from a serious hacker. I guess at that point it's just a
matter of tradeoffs again...