> I'm more of a perl end user and plead ignorance in actually understanding
> what goes on behind the scenes. In the process of considering upgrading to
> perl 5.6 and according to a recent message I see its going to be required
> for mod_perl 2.x anyways so I guess its a good time to start migrating in that
> direction. I was curious as to if there are requirements as to how perl
> should be built for this. I scanned through the archives as I seemed to
> remember some threads about this awhile ago, especially regarding threads
> and multiplicity, from what I can see it looks like -DMULTIPLICITY is
> going to be required ?, don't know about -DTHREADS, doesn't look like it
> though. Can anybody in the know, shed some light on this, just trying to
> save some work down the road as I'd like to upgrade to the perl 5.6 stuff
> now and use it with my existing mod_perl (I already use the CVS version
> and I know thats required for perl 5.6) but I really don't want to have
> recompile perl (and modules, etc) again later if I can build it the way
> it will need to be now and continue using mod_perl 1.x and then just upgrade
> to mod_perl 2.x down the road.

mod_perl-2.0 requires perl 5.6 to be build with -Dusethreads, which turns
on threading and multiplicity. The biggest hurdle I've faced until now is
that DBI won't build with this threaded perl. Hopefully DBI will be updated
since the latest version is from july 99.
This is for using Apache 2.0's pthread MPM, of course you can build perl
5.6 non threaded and use apache 2.0's prefork model but then it's not
as exciting :-)

--
Eric