On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 11:59:58AM +0200, Eric Cholet wrote:

> > though. Can anybody in the know, shed some light on this, just trying to
> > save some work down the road as I'd like to upgrade to the perl 5.6 stuff
> > now and use it with my existing mod_perl (I already use the CVS version
> > and I know thats required for perl 5.6) but I really don't want to have
> > recompile perl (and modules, etc) again later if I can build it the way
> > it will need to be now and continue using mod_perl 1.x and then just upgrade
> > to mod_perl 2.x down the road.
>
> mod_perl-2.0 requires perl 5.6 to be build with -Dusethreads, which turns
> on threading and multiplicity. The biggest hurdle I've faced until now is
> that DBI won't build with this threaded perl. Hopefully DBI will be updated
> since the latest version is from july 99.
> This is for using Apache 2.0's pthread MPM, of course you can build perl
> 5.6 non threaded and use apache 2.0's prefork model but then it's not
> as exciting :-)

Thinking about it now after your message and it makes sense. I've actually
been a bit lazy and still have one of the older CVS versions (pre alpha)
of Apache 2.0, guess I don't know about the alphas but I was playing with
both the threaded, dexter MPM's. Since dexter is kind of a hybrid but uses
threads I assume it'll also need a threaded perl then.

At one time I did build a threaded perl but ran into problems here and there
with various modules, etc. Don't recall having any problems with DBI but then
again it wasn't perl 5.6 either, that is kind of a show stopper though :-(

All in all I guess I found out the answer, might just as well go for it and
build 5.6 threaded, grab the lastest Apache 2.x alpha and take what comes.
Its my play box anyways so I guess I can live with some things being broken :-)

--
Didn't I see your picture on a milk carton ?

Mike Hall,
Unix Admin   - Rock Island Communications           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
System Admin - riverside.org                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>