On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 12:06:20PM -0700, Karyn Ulriksen wrote:

> IPC::Cache has worked like a champ for me on a heavily loaded webserver.
> It's simple and (I'm lead to believe) it's a compiled module.  You interact
> with it like a hash file, but if you're clever you can work it out for your
> usage without semaphores.  It also behaves itself very nicely (no memory
> leaks that I have run into).

Hi, I'm the author of IPC::Cache and frankly, I'm a little surprised
it's worked so well for you.  :) I've noticed some performance issues
with it.  The good news, however, is that Sam Tregar, author of
IPC::SharedCache, and I have been working on a major upgrade.  In the
next release, IPC::Cache will be back-ended against IPC::SharedCache
module.  It will now scale and perform much better.

The other alternative is to use File::Cache (also available on CPAN).
File::Cache actually has better performance characteristics than
IPC::Cache.  Since switching between the two usually entails simply
replacing the string "IPC::Cache" with "File::Cache" it may be worth
checking out.

I could use a few beta testers of the new IPC::Cache module.  If
anyone wants to help, please let me know.

-DeWitt