On Mon, 22 May 2000, DeWitt Clinton wrote:

> The problem had to do with large numbers of objects in the cache.
> Right now, things are in a holding pattern because I'm finding a limit
> on the number of objects I can put in the cache (less than 100, so it
> is an issue).  Hopefully Sam will offer some insight here.

I ran into this with IPC::SharedCache a couple of months ago and had some
discussion with Sam about it.  The problem is a lack of shared memory
segments and/or semaphores compiled into the kernel.  IIRC, the default for
both under Linux is 128.  The BSD system I was trying to use only had 32
segments and something like 10 semaphore identifiers.  In order to scale
a system, you'll need to recompile the kernel with higher limits.

- Matt