I'm in the process of designing an ecommerce system, and have several options on the
table.  Since I love perl/mod_perl/apache, my knee-jerk reaction is to write it in
perl.  However, in the best interest of the project, I need to look at other
possibilities, and take an objective look at the problem.

This site will have major traffic, will need to be extended and changed (a lot), and
needs to scale very well.  My experience with Perl (as well as what I've heard from
other developers) is that Perl turns to spaghetti rapidly once you hit the 10,000 line
mark.  I know Perl can handle the performance.  What are your experiences with
extendability and readability of code?

Could someone also give me a quick list (or a link to where I can find a list) of some
high-profile sites that use Perl, and pull it off?  Theres a difference between a
company using something successfully, and just getting by with something (Amazon comes
to mind for a system just getting by...solving their pasta-problems by adding more
developers).

Thanks, I want to use Perl, but it has to be a justified decision.

-man