>I'm probably a novice programmer, at least by the standards of
>most of the people on this list. I'm 16, and since I haven't taken
>Computer Science at university yet, I'm a bit lacking in 'formal
>programming education'. I'd rather not form bad habits - is there
>any advice anyone can give me on how to write, clean Perl (OO or
>otherwise)? Are there any good books I can pick up?

Probably the best way to learn good OO Perl is to learn Java or C++. As
Gunther said, other languages are much more strict so they force you to
write good OO stuff. I had been programming with Perl 4 before Java came
out and had never done any OO stuff. I actually argued against OO with a
friend. I tried to learn Perl OO but it didn't click. I taught myself Java
since it was the cool thing to do and then went back to Perl OO. I think my
Perl OO is better from knowing Java first.

Definitely read the perltoot (Tom's OO Tutorial). I've heard alot of good
things about Damian Conway's OO Perl book but I haven't read it myself. The
advanced perl programming book has a nice section on OO. But, learning OO
in a Java or C++ context would probably be the best way to start.

--
Jason Bodnar + Tivoli Systems = [EMAIL PROTECTED]