On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 10:33:15AM -0400, Geoffrey Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> mod_perl sometimes requires special perl coding guidelines, due in part to
> the way mod_perl works with and within apache.

I know this and I have no problems with that (as I made very clear in my
last mail). But when mod_perl requires special programming techniques this
does not mean that code not using that techniques is "broken anyway", as
dougm said, at least not in perl. It might be "broken code", but then the
language is not perl (where the problematic technique is documented to
work in perltoot).

> For example, you shouldn't do things under Registry that are otherwise ok

Exactly what I said. These things are otherwise ok, but mod_perl requires
special treatment.

> mod_perl.  that doesn't make mod_perl a dialect of perl,

However, you can't claim that mod_perl _is_ perl and at the same time
claim that perfectly valid perl code is broken. Either it's broken code
in the mod_perl dialect or it's valid code not working due to environment
constraints.

> actually, it makes perfect sense, if you think of it in apache/mod_perl

I can understand why it happens, if you mean that. Wether it makes perfect
sense is, unfortunately, not so clear to me.

> and, there's no reason to get real argumentative or defensive about any of
> this, Marc - we're all friends here, in modest persuit of the same things :)

As I explained I was getting defensive simply because _not_ all are
friends here. I am still defensive because calling somebody else's code
broken should not be done so lightly.

What happened, if you go back and read the thread, is that I had a question
and had a very hard time explaining what I actually meant (because my initial
mails were simply not verbose enough on the problem). Many responses
(especially the private ones) were very aggressive, so "we are all friends"
is a myth.

Since this is my first contact with modperl, however, this just means that
I wasn't able to adjust myself to the tone on (and around) the modperl
mailinglist.. Next time I will simply ignore most of the responses.