On Tue, 23 May 2000, Marc Lehmann wrote:

> If this were true, it would be very bad. If there is no technical
> need to do this "half-reloading" then it should definitely be turned
> off.

it is off by default, you turned it on with 'PerlFreshRestart On'

> It breaks perfectly valid perl code, creating some kind of
> "mod_perl-language-subset". At least _I_ lost days of debugging to find
> out about these subtle differences to standard perl. (And this also means
> that some CPAN modules would need to be patched to run with mod_perl).
>
> Or in other words: mod_perl should either do it cleanly or not at all. Or
> have a very good reason to break code ;)

it's not breaking code, it's exposing broken code.  if a module can't
handle:

require Foo;
delete $INC{'Foo.pm'};
require Foo;

then the module is broken.  i'm not arguing that PerlFreshRestart is
elegant either, see discussions in the archives.