On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 10:08:46AM -0700, Gustavo Duarte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm not sure this makes sense for your case, but it might help, so...

It probably makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

> "When the server [apache] is restarted, the configuration and module
> initialization phases are called again. To ensure such restarts will be
> uneventful, Apache actually runs these two phases twice during server startup
> just to check that all modules can survive a restart."

If this were true, it would be very bad. If there is no technical
need to do this "half-reloading" then it should definitely be turned
off. It breaks perfectly valid perl code, creating some kind of
"mod_perl-language-subset". At least _I_ lost days of debugging to find
out about these subtle differences to standard perl. (And this also means
that some CPAN modules would need to be patched to run with mod_perl).

Or in other words: mod_perl should either do it cleanly or not at all. Or
have a very good reason to break code ;)

Does the book say what "module initialization phase" means, and how one
can work around that? (Apart from patching _every_ module with a hack like
the one I posted)?