I just left a company that used either mod_perl or coldfusion for our intranet
development. I never did any coldfusion development but I did have to deal with
maintaing the coldfusion server and apps.

coldfusion crashed several times in the three or four months I was involved
with it. We never could determine what the problem was.

coldfusion (like Apache/mod_perl) eats memory. Our coldfusion processes usually
used a total of 200MB of memory.

coldfusion does not play well on unix (at least solaris). Allaire's site
recommended changing some kernel parameters to get the best performance out of
cold fusion. That was something we weren't willing to do on a box that had much
more than CF running on it.

To my knowledge, CF does not give you the power to mess with the web servers
API like mod_perl does. You may or may not need this ability.

IMHO, mod_perl applications easily out-performed our CF apps.

One plus for coldfusion, there seems to be more CF developers out there (at
least in Austin, TX) but that may be a sign that very few people are using CF.

My opinion: stick to mod_perl, it won't let you down.

--
Jason Bodnar + [EMAIL PROTECTED] + Team Linux

Okay, Marge, as long as we're traumatizing the kids, I have a scandalous
story of my own.

                -- Homer Simpson
                   Another Simpsons Clip Show