On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 04:09:06PM -0700, Joshua Chamas wrote:
> Paul Lindner wrote:
> >
> > > IMHO, mod_perl applications easily out-performed our CF apps.
> > >
> > > One plus for coldfusion, there seems to be more CF developers out there (at
> > > least in Austin, TX) but that may be a sign that very few people are using CF.
> > >
> > > My opinion: stick to mod_perl, it won't let you down.
> >
> > I've been toying with using the Apache::ASP custom tag feature to
> > support cold-fusion like applications.  I don't think it will be too
> > hard; reading the spec it appears you need to make a list of named
> > queries and then use <cfoutput> tags with #fieldname# entries.
> >
> > This is absurdly simple with Joshua's new Apache::ASP.  Just define
> > cfoutput as a custom tag, and write a small handler for it.
> >
> > I'll have to look up the other tags they support, but they shouldn't
> > be too hard to implement...
> >
> > Has anyone else out there wrote their own cold-fusion routines?
> >

> Hey Paul,
>
> I think you will have a problem with cold fusion templating
> logic like if/else constructs.  For these, I would recommend
> having something like a ColdFusionCompat config setting, and we
> could rip out some of these are parse time and convert them into the
> ASP style constructs.

One idea is to have a separate class of tags that are used in the
parse stage.:

  CodeTags (cfif|cfelse|cfend)

  sub cfend {
    return('}');
  }

  sub cfelse {
    return('} else {');
  }

  sub cfif {
    ..... # heavy lifting here..
    return('if (......) {');
  }

> I am planning to use this approach for support of XSP logic
> for XML/XSLT integration, and can't see how to use the custom
> tags for full logic implementations of other environments,
> particularly the if/else contructs.  Might there be some
> way to extend the XMLSubsMatch technology to coordinate
> between multiple tags?
>
> I think what we need to is something like a Script_OnParse
> that one could use to grab the script data and parse it
> before the ASP to perl compiler gets to it.  This would
> allow for some experimentation out of the code base before
> merging in something big like XSP or ColdFusion support.

That would definitely do the trick too.  Though instead I'd use
various regular expressions to convert tags into ASP syntax..

--
Paul Lindner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]