On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 04:30:01PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I just left a company that used either mod_perl or coldfusion for our intranet
> development. I never did any coldfusion development but I did have to deal with
> maintaing the coldfusion server and apps.
>
> coldfusion crashed several times in the three or four months I was involved
> with it. We never could determine what the problem was.
>
> coldfusion (like Apache/mod_perl) eats memory. Our coldfusion processes usually
> used a total of 200MB of memory.
>
> coldfusion does not play well on unix (at least solaris). Allaire's site
> recommended changing some kernel parameters to get the best performance out of
> cold fusion. That was something we weren't willing to do on a box that had much
> more than CF running on it.
>
> To my knowledge, CF does not give you the power to mess with the web servers
> API like mod_perl does. You may or may not need this ability.
>
> IMHO, mod_perl applications easily out-performed our CF apps.
>
> One plus for coldfusion, there seems to be more CF developers out there (at
> least in Austin, TX) but that may be a sign that very few people are using CF.
>
> My opinion: stick to mod_perl, it won't let you down.

I've been toying with using the Apache::ASP custom tag feature to
support cold-fusion like applications.  I don't think it will be too
hard; reading the spec it appears you need to make a list of named
queries and then use <cfoutput> tags with #fieldname# entries.

This is absurdly simple with Joshua's new Apache::ASP.  Just define
cfoutput as a custom tag, and write a small handler for it.

I'll have to look up the other tags they support, but they shouldn't
be too hard to implement...

Has anyone else out there wrote their own cold-fusion routines?

--
Paul Lindner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]