I agree with your thoughts completely.  One of the reasons why
I built Apache::ASP was that ASP is a widely used standard,
albeit one that Microsoft developed.  I wanted to be able to
leverage the mindshare of ASP scripters & from a templating
standpoint, and this is part of the reason why I didn't
run with Embperl in the first place.

--Joshua