> > In my mind, almost all my applications seem to fit a system where a my
> > application uses the templates, instead of the templates using my
> > application.  In other words, URLs map to the application and not to
> > pages. I assume the likes of TT and HTML::Template fit this, but
> > Embperl, Mason, and ASP are more based on URLs mapping to templates.
>
> Yes, the first is pipeline, and the second is callbacks (in my
> terminology anyway).

Embperl can be used in both ways. Also standard is the URL maps to template
I know maybe people that maps the URL to a application, that uses Embperl
only for rendering the template.

> > - Shared template cache across server children
>
> That's pretty hard for any system that compiles templates to perl subs,
> which most of the fastest ones do.  You can't share compiled perl subs
> across children except by loading them before the fork.

Yes, compiled Perl code can't be shared. mod_perl 2.0 will take us a step
futher in this direction (as far as you use threads and not forked
processes).

> > Say all the templates are stored in the "templates" directory.
> > Subdirectories in the "templates" directory contain the templates for
> > each of the co-branded sites.  When running as co-branded the template
> > mapper first looks in the co-branded subdirectory for the template,
> > then if not found there, looks in the top level templates directory
> > for a template of the same name.  More helpful in my case, the same
> > process works for templates included within templates so that many of
> > the templates (and included templates) are shared.  I guess that's
> > someone like the "components" feature of Mason.
>
> Yes, Mason and TT both work this way.

EmbperlObject provides the same within Embperl and sets up a Perl class
hierachie, so you not only search for whole pages/files/components in parent
directory, but also can overwrite methods.

Gerald

E-Mail:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Voice:    +49 6133 925151