Thanks, Ken.

We looked at Template::Toolkit and also at Axkit, but both
seemed to be much larger hammers than we needed.   It also
(and I could be incorrect here) did not appear to have the
capability to select the included component dynamically
based upon information provided at request time, and pass
that information into the component.

There was also a concern with implementation time.  The
site in question is already operational, with a few hundred
static pages and a fair number of CGIs.   Retrofitting all
of the pages to work with the toolkit seemed to be a
daunting task.  That's not even including the time involved
in teaching your web developers how to use the new system.

My plan seems simpler - create the default header, footer,
and toolbar files, write a script to strip out that
information from the existing site files, turn on the
handler, and go.   Don't let the templating system handle
anything except templating, and leave all the logic up to
the component and content files which could be html, cgi,
anything.

Todd