At 12:03 PM 8/23/00, Matt Sergeant wrote:
>On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Todd Finney wrote:
> > We looked at Template::Toolkit and also at Axkit, but
> both
> > seemed to be much larger hammers than we needed.   It
> also
> > (and I could be incorrect here) did not appear to have
> the
> > capability to select the included component dynamically
>
> > based upon information provided at request time, and
> pass
> > that information into the component.
>
>AxKit does, but I accept the thing about it being a big
>hammer for a
>potentially small job. You should use something like AxKit
>when you're
>looking to build a site that will change at some point,
>and you didn't
>like managing your site "the old way".

Thanks, Matt.

Managing the site in a different way would be pretty great,
but we've been asked to do something fairly complicated
(this borders thingy) on very short time.  We were looking
for a way to do only templating, and leave (essentially)
everything else on the site alone.   There's interest in
moving to a different system at some point in the future,
but we just can't get it done now.

>I also think Mason can do what you're after.

Almost, but we still have a couple of concerns about
it.  First, it would mean that we'd have to update all the
cgis to not use CGI.pm for form argument handling.  Second,
we need to be able to do per-user templates, which I don't
believe it can do (can AxKit do that?).

I've never used Mason, this is just what I got from the FAQ
and the doc.   If there's a way around this, we'd take
another look at it.

Todd