Hi again,

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, Christopher L. Everett wrote:

> OK, I confess: I've written (probably yet another) mod_perl banner
> exchange.

Argh.

[snipped impressive numbers]

> That's what I meant by "certain statistical properties".

Interesting.  Nothing to do with statistics, but interesting.

> So, I apologize for not describing my problem clearly

No need for that.

> I need to know that the 500 sites that hosted our banner ads are
> getting the 50K banners that we promised them

The only way to *know* that is to get information from the sites.
If I wanted to be sure, I'd connect to them and look in their logs.
You probaly already know that people cheat a lot with this kind of
thing.  Can't understand why they'd do that.

> and the 30K banners that we sold, we really did serve.

Is there a reason you're only selling - no, don't answer that.

> Also, I want to know that the banners my logs say the script
> sent are really the ones people saw on their browsers.

There you go again.  The only way to know is to go and look.  But you
might try something along the lines of tcpdump on your firewall box,
so that you could at least remove a whole slew of uncertainties from
the equation.  You could pull your magic numbers out from the packets
and see from the packet headers if they were addressed to where they
were suposed to be addressed to.  But without going further afield I
think that's about the best you will be able to do.

And don't write off ab - remember, you saw it here first...

73,
Ged.