On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, Christopher L. Everett wrote:

[...]
> OK, I confess: I've written (probably yet another) mod_perl banner
> exchange.  I need to know that when we serve 100K banners to 40K

Hi Christopher,

if anyone doubts that perl and mod_perl is a good solution for that,
you can tell them that at ValueClick we can serve thousands and
thousands of banners per second on our technology that is close to
100% Pure Perl.

:-)

[...]
> place.  And again, my questions are:  How would I go about proving to
> myself that my script does what I designed it to do?  Has anyone else
> dealt with a similar problem, and how did they go about doing it?

Look at your system and then make up a lot of ways you can think it
could go wrong and then write some utilities to automatically do
those things and test in our output / logs / databases if what
happended was what you expected.

> If I solve it for myself, would anyone else find the solution
> useful, and how would I make it more useful to them?

That depends on how you solve it, but chances are pretty good that
you'll solve it very specifically to your problem (which might be a
good thing).

> Usually, I would test by running through the script a few times with
> some variations, but we are so freaked out by our experience with the
> 2 other banner exchange scripts we tried, we find a lot of value in
> being certain.

Sounds scary; I don't want to know more.

:-)

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen - <http://www.netcetera.dk/~ask/>