On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Michael Nachbaur wrote:

> I don't know what I'm getting at here, but I see that Perl is half a
> step behind Java in many ways, except for the performance issues
> (which perl is leagues ahead).  For my company, we're probably going
> Java, but it sorta makes sense for us (we need an enterprise solution
> now...not when the Perl community gets around to it).

How exactly does Java provide a better "enterprise solution" than
Perl?  And how can the Perl community better provide an "enterprise
solution"?

It is true that Java code is generally more cleaner and easier to maintain
than Perl code, but this is because Perl allows you to write bad code,
while Java enforces typing and OO design.  A good Perl coder should
be able to write code that is clean and easy to maintain by following
coding guidelines, and by using OO modules and 'use strict'.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I hear a lot of marketing hype about
Java being a better "enterprise solution", but I'm curious as to what are
the purely technical reasons for using Java over Perl.  What exactly can
you do in Java that you can't do as easily in Perl?