On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, (Matthew Kennedy) wrote:

> > > Transaction support for your business logic is easy in J2EE. It's not
> > > clear how you do this in Perl?
> >
> > Use an RDBMS.
>
> You don't understand that it can have nothing to do with a RDBMS. I'm
> not talking about transaction control within the context of a database
> within a RDBMS. As I wrote to another user on this list, say you have
> two database servers and you need to implement a process which operates
> on each database in order. Maybe you move an item from on to the other.
> What if the second operation fails? Natually you want to roll-back to
> before the operation on the first. That's what J2EE transactions are
> about. See how RDMBS transactions are a different deal in this
> situation?

The problem with this analogy is that in Perl we'd just use exception
handling with automatic rollback on the databases in question (assuming
you don't commit). Throw an exception and be done with it.

You'd probably have to come up with a better scenario where J2EE
transaction management is really required. I've been struggling to grasp
the need for this concept since I attended a Microsoft developer day where
they demo'd their COM based transaction manager for the first time.

But then I'm an old style RDBMS guy. We built multi-million dollar Sybase
systems for large insurance companies. We never needed a transaction
manger. &shrug;

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **