What about working with ActiveState?  I know they were primarily Windows
focused, but they now have Linux and Solaris versions of Perl pre compiled.
mod_perl can now be gotten to work with the latest ActivePerl build (622) for
Windows.
(thanks to Randy Kobes, or at least I think that is who has pushed for this)

I have to admit that until their compile worked with mod_perl I saw them as
'evil' through the eyes of Perl.

ActiveState (c|w)ould give credibility to the mod_perl from a business
standpoint.
ActiveState also has the new Komodo IDE which is a cross platform IDE for Perl
and Python.  It uses the Mozilla engine.
http://www.activestate.com/Corporate/Communications/Releases/Press974947521.html

(for the seperate discussion of GUI interfaces)

Should someone try to form an alliance with ActiveState to insure they don't
ignore mod_perl users or want to be users?

Aaron Johnson