Stas Bekman wrote:

> Well as you've probably figured out, based on the load of email from me,
> I've dropped my last job, in order to finally finish the mod_perl book,
> have some rest and make a push to mod_perl.

Well best of luck & hope you have a good rest - I'll certainly buy the
book!

> In Paris we couldn't hire a single mod_perl programmer, because people
> don't even know what that. They know a lot about php and ASP. It's true
> that they don't even know what's Perl :(

I think this is a general situation - sounds similar to the uk.

> But, you all know that php pretty much takes over. Why? For two reasons:
> 1) initial corporate pushing (press/ads)
> 2) once well known, the word of the mouth does the rest.

Well go back 2 / 2 1/2 years and PHP was little known.

> mod_perl lucks the corporate money/PR to get pushed. But we can still work
> on the exposure, which will bring corporate money/PR thru the word of the
> mouth.

I think your on the right track, as many other popular open source
things have started this way.

\> Luckily Matt has got sick of waiting for someone to work on the
advocacy
> of mod_perl and he has just taken over it. Having a good informational
> site is good, but it's not enough. We need to solve the problem of people
> to find this site and wanting to use mod_perl. Solution? Spreading the
> word.
>
> I see two main streams:
> 1) Online zines.
> 2) Conferences.
>
> I think that we should start working on locating ezines wanting to publish
> mod_perl related articles (preferrably for a fee, to give incentives for
> others to write) and conferences where mod_perl can be relevant. The data
> is to be collected and distributed to the people who wish to advocate
> mod_perl, thru written articles and conference classes. I suppose that we
> will also look for companies who want to order mod_perl classes and find
> the teachers in the appropriate areas.

I think may people could write simple "How to ZXY" in mod_perl.  PHP has
excellent resources for similar things i.e how to do this or that.  Very
much like the Perl Cookbook.

I am not saying that mod_perl does not have these, and the guide has
some excellent examples, but these are often not easy to find and will
not attact people half as much as reading a single all-in one atricle.

> May be we could organize some certification classes, to give more PR to
> mod_perl.

Not wishing to sound negative - but certification more often causes
problems - MCSE's a case in point.

Overall Stas I think more aticles in the general IT press be it ezines
or in paper is the way to go to raise the profile.

As an aside whats happening to perl month ? as this appears to be
exactly the sort of thing we need.

Greg