>  I had already reached the same conclusion after I saw that
> everyone would have to remember to say "my Dog $spot;" every time or the
> whole thing falls apart.

Falls apart?  How?

> If you want something reasonably close, you could do what a lot of the
> Template Toolkit code does and use arrays with constants for key
> names.  Here's an example:

Yes but then you get neither compile time (my Dog $spot) nor run time
(my $spot) error checking.

How are you going to debug the times you use a constant defined for
one structure to index another?

Have fun.

Oh, do it all through accessor functions.  That'll be nice and
fast won't it.

--
John Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        CalvaEDI SA.                            Tel: +33-1-4313-3131