On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 02:49:44PM -0800, Paul J. Lucas wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Matt Sergeant wrote:
>
> > Its perl adding the -fno-rtti, FWIW, not your Makefiles.
>
>       Then there's something odd about your Perl installation.  Perl
>       shouldn't be giving the option.  How does Perl "know" whether
>       RTTI is needed or not?

I believe that this is from times as RTTI did require that the main
program was a proper C++ program as well (which perl isn't, it is a
plain C program). I believe RTTI did bloat programs considerably, so
most people turned it off. If this still applies today, I have no idea.
I still know a few platforms that do not support loading C++ code from a
loadable plug-in (dll, shared object) if the main program is not a C++
program.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH