On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Paul J. Lucas wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Matt Sergeant wrote:
>
> > But if performance is absolutely key in XML parsing/processing, then you
> > really need to be looking towards Orchard, which we're co-developing with
> > Ken MacLeod (author of the PerlSAX bindings and XML::Grove). Current tests
> > reveal that its about 10 times faster at parsing than any Perl tree based
> > parser ...
>
>       FYI, I recently released my of XML::Tree.  My benchmark tests
>       against XML::Parser show mine to be 12 times faster.  I wrote it
>       as sort of a challenge (internal to my company).  The code is
>       based on my similar HTML::Tree.
>
>       A current caveat of mine is that it's not a compliant parser.
>       It doesn't currently handle Unicode, CDATA sections, ELEMENT
>       declarations, and probably some other stuff.  But, if you're
>       processing straight-forward XML files, like config files, it
>       certainly works, and fast.
>
>               http://homepage.mac.com/pauljlucas/software/xml_tree/

Aside from categorically *not* being an XML parser (if it doesn't parse
XML 1.0 files then its not officially an XML parser), it doesn't compile
on my stock Mandrake 7.0 laptop:

make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/XML_Tree-1.0/mod/XML/Tree'
g++ -c -I../../.. -Dbool=char -DHAS_BOOL -I/usr/local/include
-O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -pipe -s
-mpentium -mcpu=pentium -march=pentium -ffast-math
-fexpensive-optimizations
-DVERSION=\"1.0\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.0\" -fpic
-I/usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux/CORE -Ubool Tree.c
Tree.xs: In function `void XS_XML_Node_att(CV *)':
Tree.xs:196: taking dynamic typeid of object with -fno-rtti
Tree.xs:196: confused by earlier errors, bailing out

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **
 // \\| // **     Personal Web Site: http://sergeant.org/     **