On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 11:44:49PM +0800, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Since mod_perl is an open source, it's a tough quest. Basically what I
> want is get some company that will benefit from me working on open source
> project full time and pay me a salary. Of course it's probably hard to get
> a full time open source position, so probably some compromising offer,
> where we do some 50-75% of the time mod_perl development and the rest
> doing something else, if it makes the company more happy.

Another possibility is to try to gather a bit of a consortium together.
See if there are several interested companies that might fund half a
developer for a year.  If you get enough for 4 or 5 developers and some
office support, you might be able to make a go of it.

Existing Apache/mod_perl support companies might pitch some in, and
some that want to make a contribution without committing to permanent
staff or longer term could ante up commitments.

The commitments could be in the form of guru grants, speaker honoraria,
PR grants, feature purchases.  Hmmmm, found a YAS (Yet Another Society)
mod_perl wing? See if "the community" might pitch in to fund Stas and
one or two others for 6 months?  Not sure if you need to be slightly mad
or from down under to pull that on off.  Kevin Lenzo's a hell of a nice
guy and probably would be happy to offer up some advice.  In fact, I
think I'll Cc him, and leave the rest of the message attached to
backfill, if he's got time to read it...

As you and others have mentioned here now and in the past, mod_perl
needs PR and working apps (which are both good PR and good reasons for
others to start using it as a means to an end: like the new Slash code,
for instance).

Such an organization could do (aside from the feature development listed
above):

- general advocacy: press releases, reference cards, publish
  articles and sell a qr/this (article|research) funded by
  (ActiveState|VMWare|Covalent|IBM S/390 Marketing Division|.*)/ credit

- coporate outreach offer a free or cheap on-site intro to mod_perl
  technologies to any corporate division

- offer a "take a mod_perl guru to lunch" program

- emergency ssh/telnet/onsite problem SWAT services (that's a bit of a
  stretch).  This could be done in partnership with existing firms like
  Covalent, or (so as not to compete with possible sponors) it could
  just advocate the availability of them.  Heck, just getting "market
  survey" type articles published that research who offers what services
  might help promote these services.

- in-depth training

Anyway, this turned out to be longer than I intended, just some fuzzy
thoughts after a long day...