on 5/9/01 5:14 PM, Morbus Iff at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> That, unfortunately doesn't tell me what causes a USR2 signal to be sent to
> Apache.

You can use the kill command to send a USR2 signal.

> Or when it's caused.

When you send it.

> I only want to reload the file when said file
> has changed. Am I supposed to do some checking against the file -M time
> myself, and then send a USR2 signal myself?

You might have better luck just having your app check -M against the file
and reload as needed.  If you don't want to take the hit on every request,
you can just use a counter or a "last checked" time kept in a global, and
check every 10 minutes or 100 requests or whatever.

Keep in mind, if you load this data during startup (in the parent) it will
be shared, but reloading it later will make a separate copy in each child,
chewing up a large amount of memory.  You might have better luck using dbm
files or something similar that doesn't need to keep the whole thing in
memory at once.

- Perrin