on 5/9/01 5:45 PM, Morbus Iff at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Keep in mind, if you load this data during startup (in the parent) it will
>> be shared, but reloading it later will make a separate copy in each child,
>> chewing up a large amount of memory.  You might have better luck using dbm
>
> That is something I was hoping I wouldn't here ;) ... Even reloading the
> file into the same variable in my startup.pl wouldn't cause the parent to
> share it with new children?

No, that won't work.  You could try one of the IPC:: modules like
IPC::ShareLite or IPC::MM, but I think you'll still end with a scalar that
takes up more than 700K in each child.  If you can't live with that, you
might try breaking up the file more so that you can access it in smaller
chunks.

- Perrin