On Sun, 09 Sep 2001 15:24:14 -0700
Perrin Harkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Announcing the Adapter module which provides a way to use
> > Cache::Cache subclasses as Apache::Session storage implementation.
>
> Hmmm...
>
> Don't take this the wrong way, but what's the purpose of this?

To glue Cache::Cache with Apache::Session. That's all :-)

> Apache::Session does very little beyond what Cache::Cache does.  In
> fact, the only things I can think of are the tied interface, which is
> slower than methods and often confuses people who make updates deep
> within the structure that don't trigger a save, and the ID generation,
> which is really just a stub and needs to be replaced for any serious
> project.

Cache::Cache is a cache interface for any key-value pairs with
optioinal automatic expire & purge.

Apache::Session is a framework for persisntent hash data with
unique identifier and automatic serialiization/deserialization for
hash.

Why not combine these two? That's all what this module does.

> Also, why bother with Apache::Session::Lock::Semaphore at all?
> Cache::Cache already provides atomic updates.  You should be able to use
> NullLocker with the same level of safety.

Cache::Cache ensures file-based atomic update. But IMHO
it's not enough for Apache::Session's session transactions, which
should be done exclusively. Session data would get logically
inconsistent when there are multiple concurrent requests with same
one session id.

Off course, you can change that to adopt A::S::Lock::Null with
A::S::Flex.

--
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>