On 10/28/01 08:29 PM, Jeremy Rusnak sat at the `puter and typed:
> > Just today, I finished a new module - my first from scratch - for
> > handling 404 errors.  I know Apache::404 isn't a real imaginative
> > name, but it works.
>
> I took a look at this, it's a good idea for smaller sites.  I would
> suggest that you figure out a way to put a rate limit on the number
> of E-mails that are sent warning the admin, though.  On my site
> we receive over a million page views a day...When something gets
> broken I don't want to have 10,000 E-mails in my inbox.
>
> In addition, there are many black hats out there who might be
> tempted to use this an exploit.  I once had a script that told the
> user "Error blah blah...An E-mail has been sent to our support
> staff to notify them of the problem."  Of course some people
> decided to call the script thousands of times and fill up the
> hard drive on our mail server.
>
> Of course, not all sites are going to have issues like this...But
> I think if you're going to be releasing modules it might be a
> good idea to include some notes for sites that MIGHT.

Very good point.  The CodeRed and Nimda modules have a cache mechanism
(File::Cache, IIRC) that prevents repeat reports within a 24 hour
period.  Definitely a good idea.

This would also help with the likes of the Nimda and CodeRed hits, so
you would only get one per day of any of the unique URIs generating
reports.

Now I DO see the value of opening discussion *prior* to just throwing
a module out! :)

Look for V1.01 in the next week :)

Thanks!
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Second Law of Final Exams:
  In your toughest final -- for the first time all year -- the most
  distractingly attractive student in the class will sit next to you.