As I mentioned before, if you dissect what they do with cookies and when,
you'll find they maintain two levels of session tracking, one for
"non-sensitive" personalization uses and one for "sensitive" authentication
uses. The URL session ID is likely only the former, and not exposing
anything sensitive.

I haven't spent a lot time seeing what they do when I disable cookies, but I
do know that if I copy an URL (which contains my session ID) and send it to
a friend, when that friend clicks on it, Amazon redirects to a new URL with
a different session ID.