Here we insert a session id on all requests, with Apache::Session whether
the request is for a static or dynamic page and have a TransHandler to strip
the session id and insert it into %ENV which seems to work for us. With this
approach  we don't necessarily need cookies, but verifying if a user is who
the session was originally assigned to without a cookie is really
impossible. At least to me with the limited amount of brain time I have put
into it. Using some algorithm consisting of the end-users IP and some random
number is OK until users behind the same NAT device try to steal each others
session. Using the cookie is a way to verify that a user is the owner of the
session id.

I hope this doesn't sound like the ramblings of a mad man, but in general I
think SESSION cookies are ok and you should feel ok using them.

I hope this helps a little.

--Joe Breeden
If it compiles - Ship It!
Aranea Texo